Tuesday, February 20, 2007

You Look Ridiculous

I'm starting to follow the NBA again this year. I used to follow "The Association" as the Sportscenter anchors call it, back when I was a kid living in Milwaukee and had a pro team in town to root for. Since moving away when I was 13, I haven't had a team to call my own here in Cincinnati, and the local NBA coverage is non-existent.

So why is this year different? Why do I suddenly care about the Bucks, and the NBA as a whole, again? Two reasons. One, guys like D-Wade, 'Melo, and LeBron are making the NBA interesting. It's suddenly become fun to watch again. And two, I bought a new HDTV last fall, and TNT shows lots of NBA games in hi-def, and I'm a sucker for anything in hi-def, so I've been watching a lot of TNT lately.

After watching much more of the NBA this year than I have in the past 15 years combined, I have a question.

Hey, um, Washington Wizards, what's up with your uniforms?

Ok, seriously, these are the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. They're on par with the 1976 White Sox uniforms, you know, the ones that had shorts instead of pants! They are the Wizards alternate road uniforms, and hopefully by alternate, they mean never again. They're gold, and made of a weird super-shiny fabric that makes them look even worse. The jerseys have black stars running up the sides, which "complement" the black shorts they've decided to wear with these hideous jerseys. I keep waiting for the players to don actual pointy wizard hats and magic wands on the court to complete the look. Here are a few pictures of Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler sporting this atrocity.




Washington, please, for the sake of my fragile eyes, stick to the blue and white you normally wear. Didn't you see how awful Michael Irvin looked wearing his crazy gold suits? That's probably what got him fired! What makes you think a gold uniform would look any better? Oh, and Atlanta Hawks...you're not much better with those awful yellow things I saw you wearing tonight.

9 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Speaking of, how ridiculous is the new Golden State Warriors' logo? Is it 1946, rocket man?

CLICK HERE FOR DUMB LOGO

February 21, 2007 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yikes, that IS bad. I'll save my comments on the Buffalo Sabres new look for another post.

February 21, 2007 at 6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Paul. Now all Patrick wants is an HDTV. (Um, so do I, I think!)

February 21, 2007 at 10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You folks have the design sense of a Mason soccer mom.
What next! Allen Iverson wearing khakis. Shaq in birkerstocks.
The Wizards digs put some soul back in the game. It's much needed since that whitey, David Stern, turned the NBA into a non-fat latte.
Those gold jerseys make me picture Connie Hawkins posting up Nate Thurmond and halftimes with the Supremes.
In one word those uniforms are
DYNOMITEEEEEE

February 21, 2007 at 11:06 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Thanks for speaking up Action Jackson, because I couldn't have agreed more.

When I saw those uniforms I thought, "All riiight!" But I was afraid to say anything because I'm not a "designer" or obsessed with "star placement" on textiles.

Still, I know cool when I see it, and those babies are awesome.

February 21, 2007 at 11:15 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Are those shoes (the ones with the gold laces and the blue trim that kind of looks like it was attached to the shoe by a 5-year-old with a glue stick and some strips of construction paper) worn at every game?

February 22, 2007 at 8:07 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Reverend - The Wizards may be bringing soul back to the NBA, but I'm pretty sure these gold uniforms are made out of the same fabric as my high school prom date's dress.

February 22, 2007 at 11:52 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

You got a date to the prom? Wow.

February 22, 2007 at 11:57 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

Is it weird that I saw that this post was about basketball and kinda just skimmed it? Sorry, Paul. But look, you got a comment anyway! Score!

February 26, 2007 at 11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home