Friday, July 6, 2007

Logo Redesign

The Washington Capitals redesigned their logo recently, and moved to a version very similar to their old school logo.

I loved their old logo with just the type and the stick for the "T" so I'm happy to see them going back to their heritage. Although I kind of liked the interim one with the Capital rotunda.

My problem with the new one is that the lettering seems awkward. The "A" seems oddly condensed, while the "P" seems way too big. It all seems a little disjointed, but I do love the simplicity of it.

I'm curious to hear the Reverend Action Jackson's thoughts on the logo, since he's a big Caps fan as well as a designer.

The old school logo

The interim logo

The new look.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

As a lifelong Caps fan and having grown up in the DC area i'll always be loyal to the original logo. Although I have a jersey with the interim logo(which I received as a gift) I won't be running out to get one with the new, old logo.

July 7, 2007 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

I'm liking a the new logo. I think it was a nice "update" i think when really studying it, the a's do look a little funny, but when you step back, and catch it at a glance, it has a nice flow to it... the elongated top of the a probably helps that. it's got a european feel to it for some reason... maybe the "eurostyle" style font? i like.

as for the logo before this... it seems that the NBA, NHL and MLB to a lesser degree went through this awful design phase from 97-2002ish. A lot of teams are getting out of that now and going back to more tradition logo in their respective sports. it's nice to see. It similar to what the reds have done with their uniforms - going classic, i guess.

werd.

July 7, 2007 at 1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Paullelujah:
When I saw this new logo I busted out the Kurtis Blow records because it must be 1983 again.
So I sat down with my good friend Billy Dee Williams and we reminisced over a Colt '45.
Our conclusion. Classic is great except when it sucks.
The original logo had as much creativity as a Dick Cheney shooting gallery.
The previous uniform had a smooth, diving eagle ready for attack. This one, a hockey stick.
The total uniform is even worse. It was clearly designed by a group of Boy Scouts in seach of the craft patch to make Webelo.

July 8, 2007 at 10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home